Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Put that on your spoon and lick it.

Do you know the old adage, "those who can't do, teach"? Well, in the food blog world, those who can't taste, look. By which, of course, I mean to say that the best food blogs include pictures. Yum.

That's where Lick My Spoon got it spot on.

Right off the bat, I was drawn to the blog:
  • Provocative title... CHECK ("Lick whose what???? I'm a lady!")
  • Simple layout... CHECK (who knew cranberry and lime went so well together outside of a glass?)
  • Recipes included... CHECK (because what salvation is salivation if there can be no duplication?)

And, finally, the pictures.

Now, I know people have made whole careers out of photographing food and that's fantastic. In this world, you can be anything you set your mind to; it's true. But, to be honest, your average food picture is semi-disgusting. Think about it: have you ever been to a family-owned diner or, heaven forbid, a Chinese take-out, in recent days?

"Yes, I'll take a number 5, please, so long as the beef is not so faded. Did you mean for those to be sun-bleached carrots? Really? Can I have some that are still orange instead, please? And maybe go easy on the unidentifiable green mass hovering over the left side of the plate? Yes, that would be fantastic, thank you."

Lick my Spoon, though, has none of that. This post might just be one of the most hunger-inducing visuals I've experienced in a while. Mmmmm, tiny cups of something delicious... If you're anything like me, though, skip over the "pickled peach" part. It only serves to kill the mood. Meditate on Scallop Ceviche or Candied Orange Peel.

Have words ever sounded more delicious?

But, okay, Internet, I'm not that easy to please. I wasn't sold on licking anybody's anything until one very specific post caught my eye:
Bagel Express (Purveyor of Happiness).

Bagel. Express.

Purveyor. Of. Happiness.

Internet, maybe I have thus far neglected to mention that I, too, am (gulp) a Jersey girl. I may not be orange and I may not talk like Snooki... or Tony Soprano... but I assure you, I am JERSEY, born and raised. And I. KNOW. BAGELS.

Once, I wrote an entire thesis paper on Los Angeles culture, centered around the idea that a principle characteristic of the City of Angels is its lack of passable bagels. I filled thirteen pages. To quote myself:

Crackly on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside—my mouth actually waters when I start to describe the symphony of high-carb, high-cal, cream cheese-smothered goodness that is the New Jersey bagel. Made right, a bagel is even better than its sugar coma-inducing cousin, the donut.

Well, doesn't that sound familiar? It seems Lick My Spoon agrees with me:

A bite of that perfectly boiled and baked, chewy on the inside/crunchy on the outside piece of heaven was like Mother Jersey hugging me to her bosom and welcoming me home.
Boy, do great minds think alike.

In the spirit of Lick My Spoon, Internet, I am going to leave you with a picture of something I find delicious. (No, it is not Will Smith. This time.)
Here you go:

It’s cake that looks like pie!
A creation of my own making, inspired by Duff Goldman and Geof Manthorne at Baltimore’s beloved Charm City Cakes.

And on that note, it’s time for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment